As I’ve written about previously (post), my bridesmaids will be wearing mismatched dresses. I’ve chosen to do mismatched dresses for a number of reasons…
– One, with a wide variety of body-types across my eight girls, mismatched dresses allow each to find a dress that makes them look and feel amazing.
– Two, for my friends still in school and in need of saving money, mismatched dresses let them decide their own budget.
– Three, all of my girls are absolutely full of personality and they definitely have their own styles. Mismatched dresses help emphasize this while still having them pull together as one cohesive image of “bridesmaid.”
– Finally, this way they can pick a dress they’d actually like to wear again. I’ve been trying to find a clip from the movie 27 Dresses about shortening it and wearing it again but alas, no luck.
With mismatched dresses, though, general guidelines for the look we’re trying to accomplish do need to be set so that everyone has some kind of starting point. Here are my style-rules to help find or rule out dresses as they search:
– Grey (any shade, any fabric)
– Short (above the knee, below the fingertips)
– No high/low dresses
– No bandage dresses
– Commit to no tanlines for the neckline you choose
– To be approved by bride before purchase
The most important part of these rules is running it by me before they buy. The main reason for this, again, is the cohesive image. If all the girls pick dresses that are light gray, but one girl picks a dress that’s dark gray, I’ll have to ask her to pick a different one since it would look black against the rest.
I have indeed made a Pinterest board full of gray dresses (like, over 200) that I would approve of, and am really excited every time I find another dress to add. Some of my bridesmaids have already seen the board and started browsing, but I won’t actually send out the dress info to them until we’re at least a year away from the wedding.
Behold! Some style predictions for what dresses on my board my bridesmaids will choose:
Megan – a mix of classy and sexy somewhere between Jackie O and Kim Kardashian
Katrina – she’s said she doesn’t want strapless or chiffon, and I think this would look great on her
Danielle – my designer-loving sister, who’s also specified no strapless
Lauren – this one loves a good sundress and embellishments, in this case lace
Marlisa – simple and classic all around
Denise – also simple and classic all around
Theresa – the hippie of the group
Kayla – likes making a statement, bring on the sparkle
So altogether, we’ve got:
And FYI, these are my girls in the same order:
*I should also add the disclaimer that these are not necessarily the dresses I hope they pick, nor are they my general favorites – just predictions of choice based on style.
Time for some links!
I’m so excited to see what everyone actually picks. They’re going to look so wonderful!